Tie One On - Something Blue

SOMETHING BLUE

I am always looking for a way to make a fun new scarf out of beautiful silks I come across at vintage or second hand shops. I love the pattern and texts of men's ties and am looking for ideas to re-purpose them. I mostly get the thumbs down from my daughters on my tie creations and they have in the past begged me not to wear my tie outfits out of the house. These tie projects are pretty safe and might not even be recognized as being ties in a previous life, well not the first one any way.

STEPS 1: Materials, you will need:

1. Half meter of silk, approx. 18 inches (or 45 cm) and 45 inches wide
2. Although the image below shows only one, you will need 2 men's neck ties
3. Seam ripper, scissors, etc.


STEP 2:  Seam rip both ties so they are open flat and remove the cloth facing inside the tie.

STEP 3: Iron both ties and cut 2 each ties in 18 inch lengths trying to get the maximum width for each piece.

STEP 4: Iron the silk and cut in half so you have 2 equal pieces approximately 22 in. x 18 in.

STEP 5: Sew the 2 widest tie pieces together and on either side sew the 2 silk pieces.

STEP 6: To the end of the silk pieces sew the 2 remaining tie pieces.

STEP 7: Fold the finished product in half and sew right sides facing.

STEP 8: Sew one end of the scarf, turn the scarf right side out and iron.

STEP 9: Hand sew the open end of the scarf.

STEP 10: Add snaps to the corner ends of the scarf for ease when wearing.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Watson Bra Fiesta

Cocoon Coat

Spring-time Blair Shirt